Thursday 27 August 2009

Son of Salty part4





I tried putting Salty on the garage roof , in the hope that he would fly back down. He was only up there two minutes when another local adult flew down to chase him off ! He was scared and ran to the edge of the roof but still didn't fly off. I notice he has a slight gait and am wondering if he had a bad landing when learning to fly, I think he is still too young and unwilling to risk flying at the moment. Anyway I had to get the ladder to carry him down !
I have had a close look at his right leg because he is reluctant to put his full weight on it and this is what causes the walking gait. It is slightly swollen at the foot joint, this would explain him sitting a lot and being reluctant to fly. I will contact a vet and see if anything can be done.

He had another bath this afternoon and then spent an hour preening himself in the garden with Millie close by, wanting to play ball. (See video below)


He also has bird lice which I noticed after picking him up for his bath, so a quick trip to the vet and I got some drops that should hopefully kill them off! No wonder he was nearly drowning when I found him, no food for perhaps 10 days, weak, unable to fly to escape the incoming tide, and body infested with lice which would have depleted him farther ! I have to say his toilet training is non existent..... he is awful,- but I like him - as Dick Emery used to say !



1 comment:

Graisg said...

Nice cameo role Millie!