Wednesday 26 May 2010

Thw Awwwww Post

The river ducklings are doing well and I noticed yet another large brood of 11 last night. This brings the total surviving so far to 49. This is quite a turnaround from last year and down to several factors. The ducks have cottoned on to the using the island and moat as a place of safety, the gulls are all nesting at the moment, and people have heeded the warnings about trying to feed tiny ducklings during these vital months, all credit to them!

Within a few short weeks the ducklings should be big enough to avoid being taken by predators.

I still have the duckling that was lost and given to me, and it has settled in nicely. I could not resist taking a few shots of the little beauty with Millie my dog - what a fantastic natured dog she is, proof that predators and prey can be managed to co - exist !

I am sure she would love to pick up the duckling but is strictly verboten !









No comments: