Thursday 3 June 2010

Call me Nipper

It transpires that the lost duckling appears to be one of Jemima's offspring. She is the one who had 14 ducklings about 10 days ago and managed to lose one on the way to the river.

I am glad in a way that I have it safely at home, for Jemima has lost all but 5 of her brood since last week !

The hoodies have targeted her, being the youngest and weakest brood. Last year she hatched 15 and ended up with 3 which was a major achievment considering the total carnage of all the other broods !

We are still doing well this year so far with 30 survivors, most of which are getting to the stage where only the hoodies and blackback gulls are still a threat. I had thought of calling the duckling Jimmy - son of Jemima , but since I dont know the sex of it I have opted for Nipper. It does nothing but nip at everything all day, as the photo with Millie's ear shows !

It reminds me of Jemima, very up front with bags of character. It is sitting cheeping happily under my chair as I type this entry.

Also a short video showing nipper having it's usual breakfast salad, it loves lettuce in the bath and is growing twice as fast as it's wild relatives !






No comments: