Wednesday 27 October 2010

Happiness


Some time ago I noticed a small news item on my homepage, It caught my attention because it was asking serious questions about where society was going. It was called the "Movement for Happiness" and I decided to contact the founders since I was interested in the whole concept. I have put a permanent link on my blog roll and maybe some of you will find the concept interesting too. The opening paragraph to whet your appetite says " Increasingly people ask, "What is progress?". For fifty years we have aimed at higher incomes – and got them. Yet over the same period there has been no increase in happiness (in Britain or the U.S.), as measured by surveys. And there has been a shocking rise in the number of unhappy and disturbed children. Clearly we have got our priorities wrong and our society needs a radical change of tack…(Read More)"

It has taken some months for this infant organisation to get up and running, and the response so far has been amazing. About 1500 people have so far signed up from 48 countries. The movement intends to start in Britain and reach out globally, I look forward to contributing in whatever way I can to this Happiness movement ! I think we can all see that Consumerism kills - one way or another, and the Planet is being plundered to sustain the consumerism madness. The Happiness movement will be tackling this problem along with many others, I wish them well ! Maybe we should get back to the basics, food shelter and good health are essential for survival, we should question the need for everything else !

No comments: