Saturday 5 March 2011

Wildlife Watch !


I was horrified this morning when I heard on the Radio that 31 Swans had been killed down in Somerset, by some moron with an Airgun ! (see BBC News item )http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-somerset-12623183 ) This to me is unforgivable, to kill such beautiful gentle innocent creatures. My understanding of Swans and their lives makes it even worse, they have families, bonds, and at this time of year some will leave broken hearted partners! Apparently a reward of £25,000 is offered to catch the Killer, People are incensed and no wonder. On this subject is a timely reminder of the vulnerability of our own Nairn Swans, they will be nesting shortly and I ask all residents to keep an eye out for their welfare. This is paricularly important this year - since the father of the assailant who pushed me into the river has intimated that there will be no cygnets this year !!! I feel an obligation to make all the Nairn residents aware of this fact. There can be no excuse for threatening innocent creatures that mean so much to so many. All those who reside along the river have always done a great job looking out for the Swans, there is also the Police CCTV coverage of the nest site as well. I ask you all to continue protecting our Swans and wildlife, especially over the next few months.

No comments: