Monday 2 July 2012

Watch out There's a Tick About !



Three years ago I developed a nasty rash near my ankle, it now transpires that this was caused by a Tick bite. Because there was no Tick present when I went to the Doctor's, I was prescribed only a cream for the rash. Unfortunately the rash was in fact the start of Lyme disease, the rash did not take on the classic bullseye appearance so was not diagnosed. I am disclosing this fact because I know of several other local people who have contracted this disease, and it appears to be a growing problem locally. Deer are the primary carriers of the Ticks that spread the disease. The Ticks are unwittingly picked up just by walking through tall grass or undergrowth. I would advise everyone who reads my blog to take note, and be on your guard against Tick bites , especially if you have children. Any unusual rash should be seen  by a competent Doctor, treated promptly it is easily cured. It can be a rather nasty illness with many debilitating effects if left untreated. After three years, I am just about to undergo a long course of treatment that hopefully will eliminate the illness. Deer pretty well cover the whole of our area, and frequent the riverside too. This is a public health warning on my part !

No comments: