Saturday 22 December 2012

Darkest Days









Mid -Winter and the darkest of days are here, even worse when it's cloud and rain as well ! Makes for poor photo opportunities and a longing for the lighter days. The 3 cygnets are still here but Penny is nipping at them more often, and the young ones often have their wings in a semi raised position, indications are that they will be getting the push soon. 

The dead kelts are still providing food for the gulls, but I was disturbed to find a dead Moorhen today. It was a young one that I have seen pecking around the riverside for the past few weeks. 

I could find no external injuries of any kind, and wondered if it had access to the rat poison put down by the council ratcatcher ? The high tides lately have washed along the area where the poison was laid, it was also the area where I have sometimes seen the young Moorhen feeding. I hope we have no more politicians or rat fiasco's on the riverside !

No comments: