Wednesday 13 February 2013

Pigeon Progress


The pigeon I have been treating after it's upper Mandible was pushed through it's lower mandible, is still with me. After letting it go the other day it returned to the Aviary and the other night it appeared to have respiratory difficulties. I could hear it wheezing badly with mouth open all the time, it sounded like an asthmatic in great difficulty. After consulting the avian web and my avian adviser down south I took the bird indoors into the warmth of the kitchen.

In view of the fact that the birds mouth was closed for many days the possibility that it was dehydrated and had a lung infection was very real. I made up a glucose type mixture which was water, salt, and sugar, that would help re-hydrate the bird. In addition my Avian adviser recommended Antibiotics tubed into the crop for any lung infection. After 3 days treatment the pigeon has ceased wheezing and is happily eating and recovering well. (short vid below)


The downside, is the kitchen is a mess with bird seed everywhere, but it's happy flying from kitchen unit to unit and looking good. I should be able to release it within a day or two.

No comments: