Sunday 11 October 2015

Strictly For The Birds

After today's newspaper revelation about the huge salary paid to the Chief executive of the Scottish SPCA, I am seriously thinking about stopping my small monthly financial contribution to that organisation. Like thousands of other pensioners the length and breadth of Scotland who contribute to the Scottish SPCA, the idea of paying someone a £230,000 a year fortune to head such a charity seems almost obscene.
Even though I do not have the facts about this man's remit or talents, I still think that such a charity should be managed better financially, than by giving someone the equivalent of two average priced homes every year !
This is more than the Prime Minister gets for running the Nation!
Perhaps when the CEO charity post is applied for, maybe they should be asked to lead by example !
Having given to several charities over the years, I am now inundated by constant requests for more, and suffer regular bouts of compassion fatigue ! Most of these now end up in the recycle bin.
As the founder and Treasurer of the River Nairn Swans and Waterfowl Trust, I would like to reassure all our members and everyone else, that every penny that comes to us is exclusively and strictly for the birds !


Although we are not a registered charity, not a single penny goes to any trustee and the annual shortfall comes out of my own pocket, even though I am only on a state pension. In addition I work at least 30 hours a week managing all aspects of the Trust and it's obligations, all for the huge reward of seeing a thriving River Nairn bird population. I can only manage this by not owning a car, not having holidays, and I don't smoke drink.or gamble. It's worth noting that the Scottish SPCA boss yearly income, would cover the Trust costs for 100 years !
The Trust regularly deals with the Scottish SPCA by reporting, catching, 

and containing injured birds for them to deal with, we will continue to do so.

No comments: