Wednesday 13 April 2016

LUCKY 13th


With very cold temperatures and snow forecast for the weekend, there is one very lucky duck and 11 ducklings safely in my care. 

 This morning I woke up to check the incubator and was delighted to see one of the ducklings hatched, and another 5 eggs already pipped. Later when doing my usual riverside round I was informed that there was a duck with a large brood at Merryton bridge. Sure enough it was one of the sisters of the duck that had her nest swamped last week, and she had a brood of 11 ducklings. 

 The north easterly wind was blowing up the river, it was so cold, brass monkeys came to mind ! 


Weather conditions and Crows would spell certain death for this brood. With the large net I managed to catch the mother and then the 11 ducklings, I was elated!


 This now gives me the intriguing possibility of having this mother as a proxy for the eggs now hatching in the incubator.

Ironically they are connected, since both mothers are sisters !  Pics show the rescued brood and also the newly hatched one in the incubator.

No comments: