Wednesday 29 November 2017

Sparrowhawk Threat



The cold weather means food is vital for survival over the winter. Some birds prey on other birds of course, and a regular local killer is the Sparrowhawk. 



They are fast and clever, and home in on other bird species at every opportunity.
Today Disco and Limpy would have been on the menu given half a chance.


As I looked out of my window I saw the Hawk sitting on the ground just 2 feet from the aviary staring at my disabled ducks, who were cowering under cover in the Aviary.


When I tried to take a photo it took off, but shortly after landed on top of the Aviary roof - trying to find a way in !  It even started jumping on the wire mesh to see if it could get through !
I am going to have to be very mindful of the ducks safety this winter !

No comments: