Wednesday 28 June 2017

Two New Broods



We may have missed out on Cygnets this year, but the duckling broods are certainly making up for it ! 


Today I can report seeing two more new broods of 12 and 6, and I expect even more to follow. Currently we have 33 tiny ducklings on the lower river and 20 grown ones nearly 9 weeks old. 


With the heavy summer growth, it's shaping up to be a bumper year for the Mallards. Many of these know me from previous years and view me not only as a food source, but as a trusted ally who will keep the drakes away.


Have to watch where I put my feet as some of the ducklings have a tendency to stand on my Wellie's.  The mothers are happy to form a crèche and leave one in charge whilst feeding !  Short movie clip below, of experienced mother with ducklings helped into the river a week ago.

No comments: