Thursday 31 March 2011

Ducks and Drakes


Most of the river Ducks are about to nest, if not already doing so. I am honoured on almost a daily basis at this time of year, when a duck usually accompanied by a mate ...or two, lands at my feet looking for a quick meal ! These ducks are usually sitting on eggs and can only leave the nest maybe once a day for 10 to 15 minutes. I always carry a pocket full of wheat or poultry pellets packed with protein, and easily eaten by the nesting ducks. They know I am a good source of quick nutritious food and no threat to them. The Drakes stand by and chirp a constant reassurance to their mate that they are on guard and all is well.( see short vid below ).

I find ducks such beautiful endearing creatures, and a pleasure to have on the river.

I hope the planned riverside cleanup for this Friday does not disturb the nesting ducks too much.

It would be much better if this clean up was done in early March when all the litter can be seen, and the birds not fully into the nesting season.







No comments: