Wednesday 11 May 2016

Getting Ready



With the imminent hatching of the Cygnets, today I had some safety procedures to attend to. Thanks to my appeal for some dead Crows several weeks ago. A local benefactor managed to obtain a few dead crows which I have kept in the freezer until today. I have strategically placed a few over the Swans Island as a deterrent to other crows to stay well clear during the hatching season.


It was immediately noticed, and several crows were swirling and screeching overhead.


 I am hoping there will be no repeat of last years killing of a cygnet by the crows. Also mindful of the low water levels in the moat, I carried over a few sods of earth to create a sloping ramp for the cygnets to get out of the moat and back to the nest after they hatch. These seemingly small details could mean life or death to our new seasons cygnets.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm curious, how does one "obtain a few dead crows"?
Sounds fishy to me!

jayteescot1 said...

Nothing fishy about it, I put the word out about 2 months ago for any road killed crows and people who do pest control, had several responses. Been storing them in the freezer for precisely this reason.