Tuesday 17 March 2020

Viral Shopping Madness

As one of the apparent at risk vulnerable people to be "shielded " from the Covid -19 virus. I thought I better get out to the shop and get some bread and a few groceries, only to find that the shelves were cleared of fresh meat, bread, and toilet rolls etc !  So much for shielding the over 70s !
I reflected back on my childhood, and remembered the 10 years after WW2. Rationing was still in force, and I recall being sent down to the shop with the rationing book to get some cheese or tea and sugar essentials. It might interest readers to note that the weekly rations for an adult were : 

3 pints of milk
Meat - 2 chops or equivalent
1 egg or 1 packet of dried eggs every 2 months
3-4 oz cheese
4 oz bacon and ham
2 oz tea
8 oz sugar
2 oz butter
2 oz cooking fat

I daresay most adults now, eat that in 2 days. There is no rationing now, and yet people are out clearing the shelves...which shows you why governments impose things like rationing ! 
I wish people would get a grip, and realise this thing is going to be around for a very long time, and get back to normal shopping habits !  This is a war on a Virus - not on the over 70s !

No comments: