Friday 22 July 2022

Born Blind Duckling



Yesterday saw another brood of 10 ducklings take to the river from a house in Harbour street. All seemed well until it was time for them to head to the riverside the mother duck in the lead, but one duckling did not follow. 



Thinking that maybe it had a leg problem, I decided to take it home for further examination. Seemed perfectly healthy preening and standing upright, but thought the eyes were shut all the time. On closer inspection I could not detect any eyes at all, took it to the Vet and she confirmed it had no eyes ! This is the first time I had ever come across a blind duckling. 



Currently I have it in care until I decide what is the best option for the poor wee thing. Short videos below showing the mother trying to encourage ducklings to jump, and my communication with the blind duckling in care.





No comments: