Monday 29 August 2022

Ten On Day Ten



                    In spite of the best efforts by the Mother duck and myself, three of the ducklings have been lost to predators since last Friday. 



Sadly 2 of them were the golden yellow ones. For 7 days she held onto all 13 ducklings, and I had high hopes that she might keep them all. 



                 I have been feeding them 3 times a day with all they can eat protein, and they are twice the size of a week ago. 





Today I watched as she positioned the ducklings in a very camouflaged spot, using the surrounding dead yellow weed to disguise the ducklings.



 Even a day on the river can be a lifetime, and they will not be properly safe  for another 2 weeks !

Again I ask people not to attempt throwing bread anywhere in their vicinity - this only draws the attention of predators!

Short video below showing the full brood the day before she lost 2.




No comments: