Tuesday 11 August 2009

Happy Birthday Island


It was 2 years ago this week that the Swans island was built, and can now be seen as fully naturalised. Most of the growth has occured naturally although I did plant local reeds, a Rowan and 2 Birch trees. Last year it had not fully developed and was almost overwhelmed with the high tide during March, this prompted me to raise the nesting area another 7 inches or so, using earth, growbag material and 2 layers of turf.

The Swans have done us proud by producing a fabulous 9 cygnets this year, and many visitors have remarked on what a huge brood!

I would like to Thank all the people who have kept an eye out for the Swans, all those who generously gave me donations towards the construction costs, and all those who wished me well with the project. All the Anglers who have taken the Swans and wildlife into account, and the youth of Nairn who have shown an interest and sometimes pride in the river wildlife, they too deserve praise for allowing the Swans to live their lives unmolested.

I apologise to those people I have annoyed and pestered by my sometimes over zealous passion for the Swans establishment on the river.

I know by the comments and good wishes of many that in the main, Nairn residents are indeed proud of their River and the wildlife and would like to see this civic pride extended to cover all of the Town.

The Cygnets are thriving and 3 months old now , their flying lessons should start in about 3 weeks time, that should be quite a sight too!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

yes joe i have been on the receiving end of your outburst's but hats of to you for your continued support and interest in nairns wildlife

jayteescot1 said...

Again my apologies, to yourself and others.