Saturday 29 August 2009

Sonny the Seagull (next generation)


I think I will have to rename son of salty "Sonny ", as he is likely to be with me for at least another week ! I made an appointment with the Vet at noon today because I felt his bad leg was getting worse, he was even more loathe to put his weight on it this morning. Even when he sits he tries to keep the pressure off it. (see pic above)
Having found a suitable sized box I carted him off and consulted a nice lady Vet called Clare at Moray coast vets on St Ninian road. Clare scrutinised Sonny's right leg whilst he bit my collar as though he was having a bullet removed - silly boy ! Sure enough he has an infected leg joint and will need antibiotics for the next 5 days, it is curable because the infection has'nt penetrated his whole leg at this early stage. I was given liquid antibiotics and a syringe to measure the dose, just had to devise a way of getting it into him twice a day.
I was pleasantly surprised that Clare gave her consultation for free and was only charged for the antibiotics , many thanks Clare!

On arriving home I gave him a salty bath for his sore foot, (see video)whilst I thought of a cunning plan to get the antibiotics into him! Catching and injecting worms with liquid antibiotics would have been messy and wasteful, trying to put it down Sonny's throat with one hand trying to hold him still with beak open was out of the question too. His Achille's heel (not the infected one) was wafer thin ham neatly folded and laced with liquid antibiotics, Ahaa ! He scoffed it without batting a beady eye at me !
Just have to repeat the process twice a day for the next 5 days, and hopefully he will be as right as rain and ready for a test flight from the garage roof, we'll see.

No comments: