Wednesday 7 September 2011

The Look

With Blustery autumn winds and the leaves turning, all my hopes of a late summer are fast disappearing! The Cygnets will be 4 months old next week and it's hard to believe they are the size of the parents already. The previous pair of Swans used to chase their cygnets away around the 6th October when they were just 5 months old. It remains to be seen what will happen with our lot of 9 this time. I think the river food supply was the main deciding factor - I mean the lack of it ! This year has been a write off weather wise, and the river weed disappeared in July, the need for greenery has been obvious for the cygnets, and I do my best to supply them with some tender grass on a daily basis. In addition they get their Wheat Grain, alternating with poultry pellets and wholemeal bread. The other day the high tide allowed them access to some green willow leaves, they will be flying soon and will need all the power reserves at their disposal. I got a very Oliver twist look from a cygnet the other day when my supplier ran out of wheat - It was a, Please can I have some more Look !

















No comments: