Thursday 15 July 2021

Duck Casualty Update


 

The visit to the Vet this morning was not good. After a look at the broken leg, the Vet opinion was negative and first option was to Euthanise. The break is bad and right at the leg joint. 



No doubt, unlikely to have full use of the leg again. However, having been here before with hopeless cases, I did not agree to have her Euthanised at this stage, and would rather give her a chance, however slim. 



Having bandaged up the leg and she is now comfortably back home in a spacious coop with her ducklings. I will administer  pain relief twice  day and keep a close eye on her progress. If she was suffering, I would have her put to sleep. 

Further consultation with our Avian adviser and another Vet, I decided that this mornings setting of the leg in a backward position would be  a literal drag if left as is. Setting the leg in a forward sitting position would be more advantageous and allow her to move around better. With my previous experience on the use of vet wrap, I reset the leg in a forward position this evening. Another trip to the vet tomorrow for antibiotic  to prevent infection is now required.



 Even permanently disabled, she might survive quite happily with Disco as a companion. Meanwhile, she is comfortable and has the joy of her Ducklings, and they have her.

  

2 comments:

Jason said...

Oh my hope she comes through..more amazing work by you

jayteescot1 said...

Will do everything I can.