Friday 26 June 2020

Dangerous Drakes




Was alerted this evening by two women  telling me there was a dead duck below the Merryton bridge. It certainly looked dead and I moved on, was only when I returned I noticed two Drakes were trying to mate with it on a different spot that I realised she was still alive! She was in a sorry state and need rescued immediately. 



Fortunately the river was low and I was able to wade across and pick up the poor duck. Have taken her home and given her a pain killer and soothing anti bacterial cream on her raw back. This is typical injuries from multiple drakes trying to mate with her, sometimes resulting in death. 



Testosterone levels in drakes start to fall about now and moulting begins soon, this usually stops this kind of activity on females. I am hoping she will make a full recovery in a week or so.  

No comments: