Monday 22 June 2020

Trust Care




With better weather and more people out and about, local woman Debbie found a young Blackbird   near the Links café. Apparently in danger of being stepped on, or grabbed by a dog. Young fledglings are best left where they are, as the parent birds usually always know where they are. 




The Trust will always try to find a solution, so we took the bird in this case. To ensure I would provide the best care I contacted our Avian adviser Sue Hulbert, having 30 years experience I knew she would give me the best advice. As always, Sue was up to the eyes in wildlife and birds herself, but gave me the gen on  best care for Blackbird fledglings. 



Armed with Sue's best advice I thawed some Mince and soaked some dried Mealworms. Fortunately this bird is not so tiny, and more easily handled and fed. I should be able to transfer it to the Aviary to learn to feed itself soon. Meanwhile a diet of Mince and Mealworms goes down well!

No comments: