Friday 13 August 2021

New Focus

With Doris and her ducklings doing well and Disco as a back up foster mum.



 A little respite for me was interrupted by a new focus on a local pigeon. Incredibly it landed on my half stooped back in the garden, then barely made it onto my wheelie bin. Was obviously not well, so I took it indoors to check it over. 



Thin and underweight but nothing external that I could see, I put it in a box with food and water. Following morning was still alive but shivering and poops indicated an intestinal infection. Have now been administering antibiotics 3 times a day and it seems to be more alert now.



 Will keep up the treatment for another week - fingers crossed.  



Meanwhile I was told that another mother duck with 9 ducklings took to the river this morning, Sure enough I spotted her down by the Swans Island, with the late day old ducklings. Although late in the season, their chances of survival are actually better than early in the year. Warmer, more insect life, more cover, less predatory pressure should all help survival. Just as I was  enjoying the sight of new ducklings, I was then told that the Swans and cygnets had just been attacked by a brown Spaniel called Jessie !



 Have checked the Swans are OK this evening, as none of them are able to fly yet, never a dull moment !   

No comments: