Sunday 27 August 2017

Pacific Salmon Comes To Scotland



Reports earlier last week about Pacific pink salmon invading the Scottish rivers is undoubtedly true.
Earlier this evening while feeding the water birds, some of the ducks jumped out of the water having been disturbed by something underneath them. About 10 feet in front of me I saw the humped back of a Male Pacific Pink salmon protruding from the water. The water at this point was only about a foot deep and I could see the fish quite clearly, it meandered slowly up the river.
How these fish have ended up in Scottish waters is a mystery, but if I saw one there must be an awful lot more around. I have informed the water bailiff. The top photo is from the Spey fisheries board, and is roughly the size of the fish I saw this evening. 


This photo I took just as it submerged, so not much to see. 

No comments: