Saturday 6 March 2010

Going with the Grain


The swans are getting ready for the new nesting season, and the pen is getting broody, and picky about her food. Spring cant be that far away and it's lovely to hear the birds singing again after such a hard winter. I listened to a blackbird near the road bridge and it was singing such a lovely "all's well" type refrain for the past couple of days.

Last year I tried the Swans with grain but they were not interested, so I thought I would try soaking the grain for a day or two this time, and see if the pen could be tempted to eat it.

The results are clear in the pic and video below .

This will be great for the future, because it provides another healthy diet dimension for the Swans during winter time when food is scarce. In addition to the river weed, I know they like Carrots, wholemeal, spinach and fresh grass. The addition of soaked wheat and corn grains will be ideal if the cygnets are kept over the winter again !
If you haven't seen my photo exhibition yet, then give yourself a treat and visit the library before it ends next weekend ! There are photo's on the inside of the window display as well !

No comments: