Wednesday 13 April 2011

First Miracle Duckling


For some weeks now I have been watching with trepidation a duck sitting on a nest which was swamped by the last big spate. I knew she had a nest in the long white reeds close to the wildlife panel because she had been coming to me for food several weeks beforehand. It was only when the nest was washed out and I saw some eggs floating in the area that I knew exactly where it was. When the spate and tide receded the duck started gathering grass where the nest used to be, she sat on the newly constructed empty nest for more than a week and I felt really sorry for her. The penny finally dropped when I realised she had in fact built a nest over some eggs that were resting under the nest ! When she got off and came over for food there were no eggs in the nest. I thought there was no way any of the eggs would hatch since they were under water for several hours and then laying on the ground too. Anyway last time there was a 4.1 tide, the water reached under the new nest and must have re floated the eggs enough for the duck to lift them into the new nest , this was incredible - I had never seen the like. What persistence, but so exposed close to the river path and all those dogs and cats passing daily, I thought she would be killed for sure. I even gathered some dead leaves and grass and threw it around her when she sat on the nest, she made use of it too. On the morning of the 8Th I watched her move to the side a little and a duckling stuck it's head out from under her wing, I was dumbfounded and delighted at the same time. Later that day I returned to find the nest with 4 eggs and the duck just ready to climb onto it again, for a moment I could not see the duckling and was filled with dread - then spotted it near the riverside, lost and trying to find direction back to the nest.

It started heading back to the water so I quickly retrieved it and took it close enough to the nest to find it's way to Mum, all was well. That night I wondered what would happen to the duckling if the mother continued to sit on eggs that were dead, would the duckling survive ? Normally all the ducklings would hatch within 24 hours or so and then taken to the water to eat and drink. I resolved that if the eggs had not hatched by the following day then I would remove them and let the mother and duckling get away to the river. The following day I found the mother and duckling gone, and 4 eggs sitting in the nest, this was my chance to check the eggs for any signs of life. The eggs were translucent and I could see water washing around, there were no sounds of life either, so I disposed of them in the nearby bin. I have not seen either the duck or the duckling since, so my joy has disappeared since I was hoping to see it in the vicinity, it may have moved up river to a safer place - I certainly hope so.

No comments: