Tuesday 26 April 2011

Satisfaction Guaranteed


Sometimes being an observer on the river can be really upsetting, like when you see a tiny day old duckling being taken by a predator. Only one day of existence, then snuffed out before experiencing the joy of life. Being a keen observer can also bring it's rewards, all the joy of life you see when watching a brood of ducklings diving and splashing for the first time. I think the human race has lost much of it's ability to observe and take in the joy of life that's all around us every day. Today I was privileged to experience guaranteed satisfaction, on what turned out to be a golden day for me. This morning I spotted 3 tiny ducklings flitting about in the harbour, with no mother to be seen at all, I looked around but knew they had probably been lost by accident. It crossed my mind that they probably belonged to a mother duck that hatched 10 ducklings the day before. I walked up river and sure enough I spotted her with only 4 ducklings in tow ! I decided to try and rescue the ducklings before the seagulls or cold had them. I borrowed a landing net with a taped up broken shaft, managed to get the net under the ducklings but the shaft broke as I lifted it. I had no alternative but to head home and get my own net and bag. On my return I could only see two ducklings and was told that a seagull had one when I was away. After some messing about on the harbour pontoons I managed to net one duckling, and then the other. Finding the mother was now the priority, for she had disappeared up river. As evening approached I spotted her up near the Merryton bridge but heading down towards the Swans island. I crossed onto the head of the island and beckoned her over, knowing the ducks has it's advantages ! She started to head towards me and I seized the chance to release the ducklings to her. What followed was pure magic and so heartwarming, mother and ducklings made instant recognition and I could honestly feel the joy. I took out the camera to record the event and I think the pics say it all. The mother gave me an unforgettable look on receiving her ducklings - this was a golden day, with satisfaction guaranteed for me !





















































































2 comments:

DebraAllan said...

Awwwww, brought a tear to my eye, truly wonderful.So glad you were there!

jayteescot1 said...

Hi Debra, It was a very satisfying experience.
Sadly she has lost one more duckling since that day, but the 5 remaining are doing well and she sticks to the island most of the time. I am hopeful they will survive. We have another 16 arrived today !!