Thursday 10 May 2018

Crow Casualty



On my usual evening river round was approached by a young couple who had just witnessed a Crow attacking a young pigeon. They asked if I could do something as the pigeon was on the ground unable to fly. I guessed it had probably just come out of the nest for the first time. Sure enough arriving at the scene, I discovered a young wood pigeon badly mauled at the rear end, with torn skin and a deep wound with flesh and back bone fragments missing - very nasty. I took it home and treated the wound with anti bacterial cream, and gave it some anti inflammatory pain relief. 


                      Ironic, as I have been hand feeding a wood pigeon down that way for sometime. It has been eating more than ever lately and I guessed it was feeding a youngster- this was probably it, I hope it survives.

No comments: