Saturday 25 September 2010

Cygnet Hooked and Injured

UPDATE: Was told today by some Aberdeen holidaymakers that they saw the cygnet struggling and neck twisted backwards in the harbour yesterday. It appears it was hooked on the neck and underneath around the leg.
Today I gave it some Anti inflammatory to ease the leg, but it still can't walk on it.

Just back from the Island moat where I noticed a piece of fishing line protruding from the neck of one of the cygnets. With some close feeding I managed to grab the cygnet and take the hook out. After I put it back in the water it swam to the island and could barely get out of the water, it appeared to have a damaged left leg and was reluctant to put it's weight on it. They all appeared ok yesterday, but if anyone knows or saw what happened I would be grateful if you could contact me. I am concerned that it has maybe swallowed a fish hook, and perhaps someone has struggled with it trying to free it. You can see the ruffled area behind the head where I removed the hook, and the injured left leg. It sat on the island for a while before struggling to join the others in the water.










No comments: