Thursday 2 September 2010

Swans under Threat


I get regular reminders about the threat to the Swans, with loose dogs still being walked past the wildlife area. The Pen is still not flying and I think her wing tips were badly damaged by the recent dog attack. I am hoping that the damage is not permanent and that the new feather growth will eventually come good. Some threats are natural ones that the Swans have to live with, like crows blackback gulls, mink, foxes, etc. The other day I picked up a string of mackerel hooks that were laying along the slipway amongst the weed, this could have proved lethal to one of the swans or cygnets if ingested. Man made threats are also a danger, and I would appreciate if people can keep a look out for the Swans. They are Nairns swans and are legally protected, but it falls to all of us to look out for them. We all get pleasure from their existence and they are an asset to the Town.




No comments: