Wednesday 8 May 2013

Waiting Game


Penny our Resident Pen is still having to play the waiting game for what is surely the longest incubation period for a British bird. However next week should see the cygnets emerge, and we all await to see how many new arrivals we have.

 Meanwhile our only surviving ducklings so far total 9 with a loss of 26 to predators and flooding. We should get quite a few more broods before too long since most of the females are nesting now. I had a report yesterday of a brown and white Spaniel chasing the ducklings, and the mother duck frantically diverting it away from them, another case of an uncontrolled dog after the wildlife !  Sadly I was alerted by a concerned Harbour St resident, to a small bird on the path near merryton bridge yesterday evening, it appeared to be sick.

 On inspection I could see it had lost it's right eye, perhaps to a cat or another bird. I took it home with the intention of calling the Scottish SPCA in the morning if it did not improve. Sadly it was dead by morning, I think infection of the missing eye socket was probably the cause. I think it was a juvenile Chiffchaff according to my book of birds.
On a happier note, sounds of Spring recorded the other evening when the white duck and Popeye looking magnificent showed up, a blackbird was singing away in the background. Short video below. 


No comments: